In the later part of the thirteenth century, John of Antioch translated two classical texts on rhetoric, Cicero’s De Inventione and the Rhetorica ad Herennium (mistakenly attributed to Cicero during the Middle Ages) at the request of William of St. Stephen, an important jurist and brother of the Knights Hospitaller. At some point in the production process, the two Old French translations were bound together in a codex and brought to the scriptorium where an anonymous resident artist (now called the Paris-Acre master) illustrated the volume with scenes that emphasize the potential power of oratory.
Chantilly, Musée Condé, MS. 433 (590) (Vellum, s. xiiiex).
Delisle, Léopold. “Maître Jean d’Antioche, traducteur et frère Guillaume de Saint-Étienne, hospitalier,” Histoire littéraire de la France 33 (1906), 1-40.
Folda, Jaroslav. Crusader Manuscript Illumination at Saint-Jean d’Acre, 1275-1291. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1976. 42-52.
For further bibliography see the page for the text at Arlima.